Saturday, January 10, 2015

adulthood pt. 2 and the little things.

Today was an interesting day, for many reasons. It had equal amount of ups and downs, but I mean.. It's one day, so.. It's not the end of the world. I bought a new bedside lamp for my room (holla at Target for making cute AND affordable lamp bases and shades. You're the best, Target~), I finally got my battery replaced in my well-loved MacBook (holla at Apple for making computers that last five years before you have to get the battery changed. And thanks for cleaning it. I'm sorry I'm such a disgusting person sometimes. I'm really embarrassed. I seriously love you. 4 real), and I bought new candles. Oh, and free lipstick! How could I forget the free lipstick?! MAC is great and I love that they recycle their old packaging because I mean, I get free lipstick, I help the environment. It's a win-win for everyone, I do believe.

These things are such insignificant, little things that happened that made it an overall amazing day today. Sure, there were a few things that made it not so amazing, to say the least. But I'm a firm believer in making the best out of everything. I think that life is too short to worry about being judged for what you like or for getting excited over little things. Be a little immature and squeal when they get a new stuffed animal at the Disney Store (I shamelessly did this when they got the Rocket stuffed animals from Guardians of the Galaxy and promptly got it) or be stoked that a gas station has your favorite drink. Be excitable. Who cares? Life's too short to give too much of a damn.

I'm also a firm believer in a cycle of energy and vibes, if you will. Whatever kind of vibes/energy you put out into the world is bound to come back to you. So ultimately, you have a choice: either make it positive or let yourself emit negative vibes. Not only does this not benefit you, it can also dampen your life and that's not fun.

So I always choose to embrace the little things. And I'm sure a bunch of you are groaning. Yes, I get it. It's not always easy to be this way. Hell, I spent about 5 years of my life waiting for it to get better. But here's something else I've learned: life doesn't hand you anything you can't handle and it doesn't give you anything for free. You might as well learn to roll with the punches and learn how to make yourself happy. No one else is going to do it for you.

Going into adulthood, it scares me how many people who are significantly older than me don't understand that. How have you gotten so far in life being negative and grouchy and expecting life to figure itself out on it's own? Part of being an adult is basically learning how to deal with situations on your own and being responsible. It sucks, I won't lie. Especially when you're suddenly thrown into it. But it's all part of a learning process.

And yes, being negative happens. It definitely and totally happens. Because the truth is, life isn't so swell all the time. Sometimes it throws you curve ball after curve ball and it's just not fair and everything kind of piles up on itself. But like.. that happens to everyone. Everyone gets stressed out and sometimes it's really bad, or sometimes it's minor and easily fixed. But.. It can be fixed. And I guess that's the kind of thing that has kept me going, especially with my anxiety and depression. I can get so easily down on myself and think, 'wow, life really sucks', but it doesn't. Because coffee and candles and toddlers who sing Frozen exist. And my mom and I have a great relationship and I live in a house and have two beautiful cats whom I love very much. And even if I have these things, it's totally okay to get bummed. Everyone does and that's fine. It's just not okay when you're permanently bummed.

It's also kind of fun, learning how to deal with what life throws at you. Instead of hiding behind your parents all the time, they kind of step out of the way all of a sudden and it's like 'aw shit, time to put my big kid pants (or skirt, if you're like me) and deal with this myself'. I mean, it's not fun when you have to earn all your own money and suddenly your parents aren't paying for your groceries and you have to wash all your own clothes (in laundry rooms you share with 25 other people, I might add), but hey.. Learning experience, remember? It's chill, everyone has to do it sometime.

Can we all just take a second to laugh at the fact I got excited over a lamp? Let's just say, I think that the adulthood mentality is kicking in. First, I asked for socks for Christmas so my feet wouldn't get cold when I walked to class this semester, and next I'm in the aisle at Target, excited over a new lamp for my room. It's been fun guys, but I think I should go scout out some land down in Florida for when I retire. (I kid, I kid, I'm still young. But hey, it's never too early, right?)

So.. To quote a movie that I think EVERYONE should watch, not just for the zombies, but also for the redneck, Twinkie-loving character played by Woody Harrelson:
"Rule #11: Enjoy the little things."

No comments:

Post a Comment